Makeup How-To: Nailing a Dark Purple Lip
The easiest way to take your look from day to night? A bold lip color. And since purple reigns this season, why not switch up your signature red lip with a deep plum hue? It’s not only super sexy, but its stunning wine-colored hue is sure to get you noticed instantly.
- Exfoliate.“A vamp look requires smooth, supple lips sans flaky skin,” Cosenza says. “Start by exfoliating with a lip exfoliator using circular motions to slough away any dead skin.” Grace usedE.L.F. Cosmetics Lip Exfoliator here.
- Camouflage your true lip color with cover-up.“Layer concealer over your lips using aflat makeup brush to blank out any of your natural lipcolor,” she says. “That way your lip shade won’t conflict with the purple lip color, leaving you with true pigment payoff.” Grace patted on Clé de Peau Beaute Concealer.
- Line your lips.“This provides a barrier that’ll keep the purple lipstick from feathering or bleeding,” she adds. Grace usedMAC Cosmetics Lip Pencil in “Plum.”
- Fill in your pout with the plum pencil.“Coloring in your lips with the same purple lip pencil from step three gives the purple lipstick you’re about to apply something to adhere to,” Cosenza says. “This helps to make the color last longer on your lips.”
- Coat your lips in a deep wine-colored hue.“Using alip brush to get a precise application, apply a purple lipstick over your entire mouth,” she says. Try Bobbi Brown Lip Color in “Blackberry,” which was used here.
- Lacquer up your lips with a matching gloss.Intensify your lip’s look with a gloss in the same shade as your lipstick. Graced usedMAKE Cream Luminous Lip Gloss in “Purple Noise.”
- Create symmetry and clean up any imperfections with concealer.“Using the lip brush and concealer that you used in step two, perfect your application by cleaning up around the edges of your mouth, creating straight lines with cover-up,” Cosenza adds.