The skin around the eyes is very thin as compared to other parts of the body, and extremely delicate. Any changes happening in the deeper layers of the skin will be easily visible on the surface.
The appearance of dark circles under the eyes can make a person look older than they really are. They are usually caused by sleep deprivation, allergies, stress, fluid retention and lifestyle behaviors – smoking, drinking alcohol and using amphetamines, just to name a few.
Dark circles can affect both men and women. But if not treated on time, they will not only dull your overall appearance, it can also lead to serious health issues.
In order to prevent dark circles, sleep well, cut back on salt and stay hydrated. Here are some tips on how to reduce your dark circles non chemically:
- Coconut oil: Massage extra virgin coconut oil under your eyes before going to bed. Rinse in the morning with lukewarm water. The Vitamin E and antioxidants it contains will help reduce dark circles.
- Cucumber: try soaking two cucumbers in lemon juice for 3 to 5 minutes in the refrigerator. Then place them on your eyes for about 10 to 15 minutes.
- Tea Bags: The caffeine present in tea bags shrinks blood vessels and reduces fluid retention in tissues, making your eyes less puffy and more vibrant. Soak them and refrigerate before application
- Milk: Milk contains vitamins A and B6, which help build new skin cells. The vitamin B12 in milk naturally lightens dark skin.
- Potato: Potatoes contain both vitamin A and C, which brighten and hydrate, and contain starch and other enzymes that help brighten and get rid of dark circles. Mix potato juice with honey for best results.