Did you know that Salman Khan suffered from Trigeminal neuralgia?
Well, he does, here’s more deets about the disease.
Trigeminal neuralgia affects the Trigeminal nervous. This nerve carries sensation from the face to your brain and cause chronic pain. It is also known as tic douloureux.
The pain typically involves the lower face and jaw, although sometimes it affects the area around the nose and above the eye. .
Initially, you may initially experience short, mild attacks. But the disease can progress and cause longer, more-frequent bouts of searing pain.
Trigeminal neuralgia affects women more often than men. It is more likely to occur in people who are older than 50.
Although, since there are a variety of Trigeminal neuralgia treatment options available, you can be rest assured your whole life will not be doomed to pain. In fact, doctors usually can effectively manage trigeminal neuralgia with medications, injections or surgery.
Trigeminal neuralgia symptoms may include one or more of these patterns:
- Pain just by touching the face, chewing or brushing teeth. It might last from seconds to several minutes
- The pain is jabbing and might feel like an electric shock.
- Continuous pain or burn-like sensation that eventually become spasm-like pain tht intensifies over time
- Pain in cheek, jaw, teeth, gum, lips, eye and forehead.
- Pain one cheek at a time in a wider area.