Yesterday the 4th of February was World Cancer Day. Around 9.6 million people die each year from cancer. To the millions who have been victim, Cancer might have started the fight – you were the one who finished it.
Let us support the fighters, admire the survivors, honour the taken and never give up hope by spreading awareness about Cancer. The more we know about cancer, the more lives we can save.
KEY FACTS ABOUT CANCER:
- Every Year, 9.6 million people die from cancer.
- Cancer is the second highest cause of death worldwide
- Atleast one – third of the types of cancer are preventable.
- Low- middle income countries face the highest mortality rate due to cancer, about 70%
- If detected early and with proper treatment and use of resources, up to 3.7 million cancer patients could be saved.
- Annually the cost of cancer is US$1.16 trillion.
- EAT HEALTHY: Consume plenty of fruits and vegetables. Avoid processed meats as much as possible. Limit alcohol consumption or drink a moderate amount. Use healthier oils like olive oil or virgin coconut oil in your food.
- STAY HEALTHY AND FIT: Keep you weight in control. Obesity causes higher risks for cancer. Exercise regularly for at least half an hour a day.
- GET VACCINATED: Certain viral fevers and health hazards play an important role in cancer. Get vaccinated again Hepatities B which increases chances of liver cancer and HPV or Human Pappilomavirus that is a sexually transmitted disease responsible for cervical and genital cancers.
- STOP SMOKING: Smoking is injurious to health. Avoid using any form of Tobacco. Smoking is known to link you to many cancers such as lung cancer, throat cancer and mouth cancer. Cancer of the larynx, pancreas, bladder, and kidney may also happen.
- REGULAR CHECK-UP: Get yourself regularly checked to determine signs and symptoms of Cancer. Early detection goes a long way in the treatment process.