Here is a simple methodology to perform Skanda Shasti Puja at home. You can do this Puja on all six days of the Skanda Shasti Vratam or on the Soorasamharam day.
Before starting any Hindu puja try and create a peaceful and pleasant atmosphere. Try to keep all the puja items close to you.
Puja items needed:
• Small murti (idol) or image of Ganesha
• A vel or image of Lord Subrahmanya
• Sandal Paste, water, turmeric, kumkum, flowers and usual puja items
After bath, clean the puja space.
• First pray to Lord Ganesha for removing all obstacles.
Now the main Puja begins:
• First meditate on Lord Muruga – you can do this silently or
• by chanting Om Vali devasena samedha Shri Subrahmanya Swaamine namaha dhyaayaamii
• Now invoke Lord Muruga – Take the idol or image or Vel and keep it close to you or hold it in your hands. you can silently pray to Muruga or chant Om Vali devasena… swaamine namaha aavaahayaamii
• Now you can place the idol in the appropriate place chosen by you in the puja space – you can chant – Om aasanam samarpayaamii
• Now you can sprinkle some water – Om…namaha arghyam
• Now you can pour some water on the feet or close to the Vel – Om… namaha paadhyam
• Sprinkle some water once more – Om… namaha aachamaniyam.
• Now you can sprinkle rose water or usual water – Om… oupachaarika snaanam
• Sprinkle some water again as final purification:Om…snaanaanandharam aachamaniyam
• Now you can offer turmeric paste or if you have got special dress for idol you can offer it –Om… vastraartham akshadaam
• Now you can offer sandal Paste to the Vel or idol – Om gandhaan dhaarayaami
• Now you can do decorations with flowers or garlands – Om…gandhsyopari alankaaranaartham akshadaam
• Now you can offer kum kum – Om…haridraa kumkumam
Finally, you can offer some flowers – Om…pshpaih poojayaami
Now you can light the lamp and chant Skanda shashti kavacham, Subrahmanya Bhujangam or read Skanda Purana or any tale related to Lord Muruga.
You can conjointly perform archana after lighting the lamp or your usual method of daily puja with camphor and agarbathis.
If you have prepared any food (navediyam) you can offer it to the lord and perform Arathi.
At the end of the Puja you can thank Lord Ganesha for helping in successfully conducting the pooja.